About Me

My photo
I am a snoop and I like to dance.

Blog Archive

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Album Review--Kimbra's Vows


I picked up Kimbra's album "Vows" about 2 months ago and I think its probably the best album of 2012. This album came out some time ago in Europe and Australia/New Zealand. Kimbra is a native of New Zealand and has quite a fan base over there but it is just now transferring over to the states. A majority of people will probably know her from Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know" but I believe that song does not showcase her vocals enough. Kimbra has a wide range vocal and can send shivers down my spine sometimes. Sometimes her voice can  be compared to Björk with the inflections in her vocals and enunciation. 

The opening track on her album titled "Settle Down" starts off with a slick beat box technique looping it into multiple beats and kicking into her sultry voice. This is a powerful opening track that features hard  beats and killer runs in her vocals. She can get more intense and dark in her music with songs such as "Plain Gold Ring", "Come Into My Head" and "Good Intent". Her lyrics can be haunting and intense but at the same time so fluid and pretty. Her song "Cameo Lover" is more light hearted and upbeat. It gives her a more freedom with having a cute and sweet style of vocals and lyrics. She also has a song called "Warrior" that was one of the Converse "Three Artist. One Song" songs featuring Mark Foster of Foster the People and A-Trak from Ducksauce. I have no doubts that this song will take off. It has a very poppy feel but will still carry over well with the indie crowd. In my opinion the stand out track on this album is "Call Me". It is almost like an R & B song from the mid 90's with its funky bass line and powerhouse vocals. The bridge in that song is so fluid and seems some what effortless for her. It is one of the best songs I have heard this year, along with "Warrior".

All in all, this album is amazing and I would highly recommend everyone to take time to listen to this album. You will fly through it because it is so fresh and every song does justice to her vocals and artistic creativity. Check out her website and also try to catch her on tour!



Buy her album HERE on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment